“A new commitment unto Jesus”
Let’s start this New Year with a fresh awareness that we need God more than anything else:
1. For leaving negative attitudes behind – any bitterness, unforgiveness, disappointments, sins and unhealthy behaviors – and for giving our broken dreams to our Lord Jesus we need a willing heart to do this by accepting His help. Philippians 3:13-14 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it by my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
2. For setting before us a new commitment to have a close relationship with Jesus, to have an obedient faith, to humility, to love God and people, to hope in God, to have daily a repentant heart, to healthy behaviors and right ambitions and we surely need God’s help to do this. Psalm 73:28 But as for me, it is good for me to draw near to God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge and placed my trust in Him, That I may tell of all Your works.
3. For trusting God in all circumstances, in the good times and bad times. We don’t need to worry about anything, we just have to make sure, we meet the key condition: Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
4. For being thankful to God for all things, knowing that God is for us and even uses pain and hard times to draw us closer to Him and to work on our character. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 In every situation [no matter what the circumstances] be thankful and continually give thanks to God; for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus. (AMP) Psalm 30:5 Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
5. For being industrious and fruitful in God’s kingdom, knowing the time is short. John 15:16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit…
6. For getting up, if we fail in any of this. Proverbs 24:16a For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again.
Above everything we need God’s help to live a victorious life. Romans 8:31-37 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written: “For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.” Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.
Thank you Jesus that you paid the price on the cross, so we can be right with You and men. Let us be real before You. Thank You for Your love and Your help.
God's abundant blessings and guidance to all of us all year long. ra
Additional verses to study: Psalm 5:1-3; 37:3-5; Proverbs 3:5-6; Acts 4:12; 1 Corinthians 7:29-31, 15:58; Philippians 4:4-7; 1 John 5:4